February marks the 3rd anniversary of The Seaside Baker! So, essentially it is my alter ego’s birthday! This blog has opened so many doors and I am really proud of what it has become.
Personally, my “Seaside Baker” alter ego has given me so much more confidence. I still remember going to my first food blogging conference. It was a huge step for me as I am normally a very shy and reserved person. Putting myself out there to meet new people and learn new things was a personality ice breaker. Fast forward three years and I have become totally comfortable and confident attending blogging events and have met some lifelong friends. Because of the blog, I finally have a social life that I adore and am constantly meeting people with the same passion.
Not only has The Seaside Baker helped me gain confidence, but it has also given me a bit more self-worth aside from being a mother. Don’t get me wrong, I love motherhood, but when the bills came in and we were scrambling, I used to feel guilty for not being at work. Now that my blog has a revenue, it has enabled us to be a lot more comfortable financially and has reduced a ton of our stress.
However without all of you none of this would be possible! I appreciate each and every comment, FB like, Instagram heart and so on. I love love love when people try recipes and love it.
To celebrate this wonderful milestone, I made this Strawberry Shortcake Cake. It was DELICIOUS! I added strawberry yogurt to the batter which made it somewhat dense like a pound cake, but oh so fresh because of the strawberry. And of course the Plugrá European Style churned butter adds delicious creamy moisture! The graham cracker crust layer was a last minute decision to use up some open packages, but was certainly the best!!! It’s like all of your favorite spring desserts in one! The whipped cream cheese frosting and toasted coconut tied up the cake perfectly. This seriously may be my favorite cake to do!
I hope you will celebrate with me and make this cake too!
- 1 and 1/2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup Plugrá butter , room temperature
- 1 and 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 brown sugar
- 2 eggs , room temperature
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup strawberry yogurt , room temperature
- 1/4 cup milk , room temperature
- 1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 pint fresh strawberries , sliced
- 1 cup toasted coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 2 8 inch pans OR 3 6 inch pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter then combine with graham cracker crumbs and sugar and mix with fork.
- Distribute crumb mixture into pans and lightly press into bottom of the pans.
- To make the cake, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and egg yolks one at a time, scraping the bowl before each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a separate bowl combine cake flour, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- With mixer set to low, alternate adding flour mixture and yogurt mixture into the butter/sugar/egg mixture, beating on low until just combined.
- Distribute batter into pans and bake for 20 minutes or until a knife is inserted and clean when removed.
- Cool for five minutes in pan, then remove from pan and cool completely on a cooling rack.
- Combine the cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Place cream cheese mixture in another bowl and wash and dry mixer bowl. You may want to freeze your mixer bowl for about 10 minutes to ensure it is nice and cold.
- Fit the mixer with the whisk attachment and pour in the heavy cream.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Slowly fold in cream cheese mixture until smooth.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on a cake platter. Layer with frosting and sliced strawberries.
- Repeat step until each layer is used.
- Frost the entire cake and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Garnish with strawberry slices.