When we moved into the new house, I was overjoyed with the bountiful fruit trees that were all over the backyard. Being in a home that we could simply step outside and pick fresh fruit off the trees and harvest fresh veggies from the large garden has always been a dream for us. To me, there is nothing more gratifying than being able to make a delicious meal with ingredients that you grew.
Currently, our trees are laden with fresh oranges and tangerines. I seriously cannot make orange juice fast enough! So we are thinking outside of he box and make orange everything! We made multiple loaves of this Cranberry Orange Pound Cake over the holidays and have added this Orange Chicken to our weekly menus.
When I first met my blogging BFF, she served us a piece of fresh bread with an Orange Compound Butter. Holy cow was it amazing! It is extremely simple to make and adds a ton of fresh flavor to pancakes, toast, and sandwiches. You simply mix a stick of softened butter with 1 tablespoon of orange zest and 1 teaspoon of honey. Use Plugrá European-Style Salted butter for an even more amazing flavor!
Since we love the compound butter so much, I knew that a buttery orange sugar cookie bar would be pretty delicious too. I was right! These bars are delicious. Topped with a creamy orange blossom buttercream and a candied tangerine, it is like bitting into a slightly more glamorous and sophisticated creamsicle.
- 1 cup Plugrá butter
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 table spoon orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon orange blossom water or 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 2 Tangerines
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 inch pan with parchment paper or nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine butter, orange zest and juice, salt and powdered sugar. Blend on medium high until light and fluffy.
- Add yolks, one at a time, and beat until incorporated.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and gradually add flour. Mix until just combined.
- Pour mixer into pan and press to level.
- Bake sugar cookie bars for 15 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- To make the candied tangerine slices, slice tangerines 1/4 inch thick.
- In a large shallow pan, add water and sugar and bring to a simmer.
- Add tangerine slice and cook for ten minutes.
- Remove from pan and place on a drying rack. Cool and dry for at least 20 minutes.
- Once bars are cool make frosting.
- Combine softened butter and cream cheese, milk, and orange blossom water and mix until incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until thick and smooth.
- Frost bars and top with candied tangerine slices.