I think that carrot cake is a spring staple. This recipe is great because despite it being gluten free and dairy free (well if you don’t add the frosting) it is still delicious and tastes just like a normal cake.
I made this cake twice, once using Cup4Cup gluten free flour and once using Trader Joes GF flour. Now, I know that all GF flours are different so please keep in mind that your results may vary using other GF flours. However I can guarantee wonderful results with the two flours listed above.
This recipe also requires oil. In an effort to make it healthier, I used melted coconut oil. If you plan on using melted coconut oil too, you have to work quickly because it will begin to solidify making your batter very very thick. This will not affect the baked cake, it just makes it a bit more difficult to stir or evenly distribute the dough in the pans.
Treat your special Gluten Free someone to a great piece of cake! Enjoy 🙂
- 1 and 1/2 cups coconut (melted) or vegetable oil
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups gluten free flour or regular flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons bakings powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup chopped walnuts , optional
- 1 package of cream cheese (8oz)
- 1/2 stick butter , softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Combine oil and sugar, beating until well blended.
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well.
- Sift dry ingredients and add to the batter gradually, beating until smooth.
- Add carrots and nuts and stir to combine.
- Pour into a two well greased round 9 in baking pans or 3 6 inch baking pans, and bake for about 40-45 minutes at 300 degrees.
- For the frosting cream butter and cream cheese together.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- Frost cake when it has completely cooled.