Who doesn't love a good donut? Especially when it's fresh and made with delicious ingredients like strawberries! These Baked Strawberry Doughnuts are perfect for a springtime breakfast or snack.
Strawberry Baked Donuts are a type of cake donut that is made with fresh strawberries. They are usually made with a cake mix, but you can also make them from scratch. We made these homemade donuts from scratch, and so so worth the effort and really a pretty easy recipe.
They are best served warm, and are often decorated with fresh strawberry glaze or sprinkles. If you are looking for a delicious way to use up those fresh strawberries, then these Strawberry Baked Donuts are the perfect solution.
WHY WE LOVE THIS STRAWBERRY BAKED DONUTS RECIPE
- Perfect anytime treat. Strawberry Baked Donuts are the perfect treat for any time of day. They're light and fluffy, with a hint of sweetness from the strawberries.
- Delicious. The strawberries balance out the richness of the donut, and the sweetness of the sweet strawberry glaze takes them to the next level.
- Easy to make. Since these donuts can be whipped up quickly, they are perfect for a lazy breakfast or an afternoon snack. No need to run to the local donut shops when you can make these sweet treats right at home! And they're perfect for strawberry season!
- No need to use the deep fryer! This is one of my favorite baked donut recipes because there is no need for vegetable oil or to stand over the fryer!
- All purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Powdered sugar
- Salted butter, melted
- Vanilla extract
- Strawberry pudding packet (3oz)
- Minced strawberries
- Heavy whipping cream
- Sprinkles, optional
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS FOR THIS STRAWBERRY DONUT RECIPE
- Use a cake mix: If you want to save time, you can use a box of yellow cake mix instead of making the doughnut batter from scratch.
- Heavy whipping cream: If you don’t have heavy whipping cream, you can easily make it with butter and milk. To make 1 cup of heavy cream, mix ⅔ cup of whole milk with ⅓ cup melted butter.
- Buttermilk: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make that too. All you need to do is mix 1 scant cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice. Then, let it sit for 5-minutes before using.
- Strawberry pudding packet: We used sonic brand strawberry shake pudding but any brand will do, just check the weight as they differ.
RECOMMENDED TOOLS TO MAKE THESE STRAWBERRY CAKE DONUTS
- Mixing bowls
- Food processor or blender
- Stand mixer or hand mixer
- Donut molds- metal or a silicone donut pan
HOW TO MAKE FRESH STRAWBERRY BAKED DONUTS
- Preheat the oven to 425℉.
- Sift the dry ingredients into a medium mixing bowl (flour, baking powder, baking soda, powdered sugar, pudding mix, salt, and sugar). Make a well in the center.
- Add 10-12 strawberries to a food processor or blender and purée.
- Next, add the wet ingredients (buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, and minced strawberries) to the well.
- Use a stand mixer or a hand mixer to thoroughly blend.
- Spray a donut pan with nonstick spray. Then, pour the batter into the donut molds. Pro Tip: Only fill the molds ½ way. The batter will rise as it bakes.
- Place the donuts on the center rack in the oven, and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the donuts bake, prepare the glaze.
- Add 10-12 strawberries to a food processor or blender and purée. Next, put the puree into a saucepan along with heavy cream and vanilla extract over high heat.
- As soon as it starts to bubble, pour into a glass bowl. Combine with powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
- Remove the donuts and let cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from the mold. Pro Tip: Don’t glaze right away. When the donuts are too hot the glaze will not set and will run right off. I recommend baking all batches of the donuts before moving onto the next step, and starting with the donuts that have sat the longest.
- Dip each donut into the glaze. Be sure to dip both sides letting the excess dripp off and back into the bowl.
- Then, place the glazed donuts onto a wire rack lined baking sheet as you work
- Finally, after all donuts are glazed, cover with sprinkles, if desired. Pro Tip: Don’t wait too long to add sprinkles, but don’t immediately add them either. You want the glaze to set long enough that the sprinkles don’t slide off, but not so long. that the glaze hardens and the sprinkles don’t adhere.
- Let the glaze set for 10 minutes. Serve and Enjoy!
TIPS FOR THIS BAKED STRAWBERRY DONUTS RECIPE
- Sift the dry ingredients. Sifting will assure no lumps in the batter and give fluffier donuts.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture for best results. A well is a shallow spot in the dry ingredients for the wet ingredients to be poured into. This makes mixing a breeze
- Puree or pulse the strawberries. Purée will provide color and flavor to the donuts- you may also pulse to lightly break apart the strawberries for a more chunky and visible addition of strawberries to the donuts.
- Don’t overfill donut cavities. Only fill the molds ½ way. The batter will rise as it bakes. I recommend pouring the batter into a piping bag (or pastry bag) then piping them into the doughnut pan. It will make it much easier.
- Make sure strawberries are smooth for the glaze. Unlike the purée used for the donuts- it’s important to blend these as much as possible so the glaze is smooth.
- Don’t glaze right away. When the donuts are too hot the glaze will not set and will run right off. I recommend baking all batches of the donuts before moving onto the next step, and starting with the donuts that have sat the longest.
- Don’t wait too long to add sprinkles, but don’t immediately add them either. You want the glaze to set long enough that the sprinkles don’t slide off, but not so long that the glaze hardens and the sprinkles don’t adhere.
- Any leftover doughnuts can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Donuts are good for 2 days.
- If you want to keep them longer, you can freeze them for up to 2 months.
- Defrost frozen donuts overnight in the fridge before enjoying them.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does this recipe take to make?
This recipe will take you about 20 minutes to prepare and prep, and 8-minutes to bake. Altogether, you should be able to enjoy your donuts in about 30-35 minutes.
How many donuts does this recipe make?
By making strawberry baked donuts from scratch, you’ll yield quite a lot of donuts, so you may need to make them in batches. This recipe makes 2-dozen donuts.
What if I don’t have a donut mold?
If you don’t have a donut mold you can also use a piping bag to shape your own donuts onto a baking sheet! The batter will be slightly thick, so do not use a tip. You can pipe batter into little rounds on a parchment paper lined baking sheet to make donut holes.
What kind of strawberries should I use?
Fresh, ripe strawberries work best for this recipe. If you use frozen strawberries, make sure to thaw them first so they’re easier to mash.
What else can I top my Strawberry Baked Donuts with?
Get creative and try different toppings! Some ideas include: sprinkles, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, or even a dollop of whipped cream. A chocolate glaze or frosting would be delicious too.
Can this delicious donut recipe be made gluten free?
Yes, to make gluten-free donuts, simply swap out the flour for your favorite GF flour.
OTHER DONUT RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 3 oz strawberry instant pudding
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 2 tablespoon salted butter melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup minced strawberries
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup minced strawberries
- 3 cups powder sugar
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Sprinkles optional
Preheat the oven to 425* F and spray the donut pans with non-stick cooking spray.
Purée the strawberries in a food processor or blender until smooth; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and powder, pudding mix, powdered sugar, sugar, and salt. Make a well in the center.
Next, add the strawberry puree and wet ingredients to the well.
Pour or pipe the batter into the donut molds.
Place into the oven on the center rack and bake for 8 minutes.
Add strawberries to a food processor or blender and purée. Add to a saucepan along with heavy cream and vanilla extract over high heat. As soon as it starts to bubble, pour into a glass bowl. Combine with powdered sugar and whisk until smooth.
Remove donuts and let cool for 3-5 minutes before removing from the mold.
After all donuts are glazed, cover with sprinkles.
Let the glaze set for 10 minutes and enjoy!