July is National Ice Cream month! What better to celebrate than with creamy dulce de leche?!?
Our friend’s over at Oxo wanted to celebrate National Ice Cream month too! The sent us all the essentials to make this delicious concoction. I personally loved the stainless steel ice cream scooper, mini beaker measuring set, and of course this nifty sugar dispenser that is perfect as a sprinkle dispenser! Oxo has everything you need to make the perfect homemade ice cream!
We are big fans of dulce de leche here. Whenever I decide to make some, I also make as many cans that will fit into my crockpot. No sense in using 8 hours of low electricity on just on can, right?
Make some today! Not only will you cool of from the ice cream, but you will be in heaven after one spoonful!
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- To make dulce de leche either remove the paper from around the can, or open the can and pour the sweetened condensed milk into a canning jar (i.e. a 8oz Ball jar) and close tightly.
- Place jar or can in crock pot and fill with water about 1 inch above the can or jar.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Jar or can may look a bit rusty, but it is ok.
- Remove can from crock pot when finished and carefully open with can opener.
- If cooked in can, and not used right away store in a reusable container, covered and refrigerated.
- Beat the egg yolks in a bowl until they turn a light lemon yellow color, about 3 or 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Combine the whipping cream, milk and the remaining sugar in a heavy-bottom saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, whisking often, until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is hot.
- Ladle about 1 cup of the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks, whisking constantly until well-blended and smooth.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan and continue to cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until the mixture thickens enough to form a film or coat the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Halfway through the churning add 3/4 can of dulce de leche.
- Serve immediately or freeze into air tight container.