Memorial Day is in l week which means it is grilling season…which totally has nothing to do with this post. Well, I take that back. Baked beans are best served next to some juicy BBQ’d ribs, potato salad and an ice cold beer.
This recipe can be made with canned beans or dried beans. I usually like to make a large pot, so I go with the dried beans to reduce cost. If I am serving these beans for a party I always make them 1-2 days ahead of time. Not only do they take some time to cook, but this is one of those dishes that taste better the next day.
Make sure to add these to your summer BBQ menu!
- 1 package dry white beans such as Navy beans or Great Northern beans (can also use kidney beans) or 3 cans cooked navy beans, drained.
- 1 pound bacon , chopped
- 1 onion , diced
- 3 teaspoons garlic
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 2 and 1/2 cups water
- Rinse beans and pick out and discard broken beans.
- Cover beans with 2 inches of water and soak over night.
- Drain beans and pour into a large pot and fill with 8 cups of water.
- Cook on medium low for about an hour or until beans are tender (they don't need to be soft because they will be cooking again.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large oven safe dish, cook bacon until semi crisp.
- Remove bacon and bacon grease reserve ring 1/4 cup grease.
- With reserved grease cook onions and garlic until translucent, about 4 minutes.
- Add 3 cups of cooked beans (if using canned make sure they are drained) and ALL remaining ingredients, gently stir together.
- Carefully place pan in oven and cook beans for 45 minutes.