Sheet cakes are the perfect dessert for a crowd. This vanilla sheet cake is topped with a delicious strawberry buttercream, and it's sure to be a hit at your next party! Plus, this recipe is really simple to make, so it's perfect if you're short on time.
This delicious vanilla sheet cake is a sublimely moist and flavorful cake that’s packed with funfetti sprinkles and topped with a strawberry flavor cream cheese frosting. The cake is very light and soft thanks to the buttermilk. It takes very little effort to make and can all be mixed in one bowl using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer!
This is one of those recipes that is perfect for any occasion, and it's always a hit with guests. The combination of vanilla and strawberry is timeless, and the cake itself is so moist and delicious.
WHY WE LOVE THIS VANILLA SHEET CAKE
- Perfect for any occasion. Vanilla sheet cake is the perfect dessert for any occasion. Its simple flavor pairs well with any frosting or filling, and this frosted cake can be easily decorated to fit any theme.
- Moist cake and delicious. This type of cake is very moist and tender, making it a fluffy vanilla cake and a favorite among dessert lovers.
- It's such an easy recipe to make. Just follow the simple instructions below and you'll have a delicious cake in no time.
- All purpose flour- cake flour can also be used
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- White sugar
- Canola oi
- Buttermilk, room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- Funfetti sprinkles
- Unsalted butter, softened
- Cream cheese
- Powdered sugar
- Strawberry preserves (strawberry jam)
SUBSTITUTIONS AND ADDITIONS
- Make your own Buttermilk: If you don’t have buttermilk, you can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk. Alternatively, you can substitute with sour cream or plain yogurt. Always make sure to use a full fat liquid which will help achieve a moist vanilla cake.
- Choose your oil: Use a flavorless oil such as canola oil or vegetable oil.
- Vanilla Bean Paste- regular vanilla always works in these easy recipes, however if you can use the paste, I always recommend it. It has a delightful flavor and leaves little bean flakes in your cake.
- Substitute strawberry preserves: You may substitute the strawberry preserve with 1 teaspoon of strawberry extract. However, we have found strawberry preserve to give the most authentic and natural strawberry flavor. You can also use fresh strawberries that have been blended into a strawberry puree then cooked down. I use this method in sprinkles copycat strawberry cupcakes.
- Add food coloring: The strawberry preserve will add a hint of pastel pink to the frosting. But, you can add pink food coloring for a more vivid color.
- Add a bit of lemon zest- vanilla, lemon, and strawberry make for a delicious flavor combo!
- Cake Mix- I'm a big advocate for a homemade strawberry cake (or vanilla) but if you're short on time, you can always use a cake mix.
RECOMMENDED TOOLS TO MAKE THIS VANILLA SHEET CAKE RECIPE
- 9x13” Baking pan or sheet pan
- Parchment paper
- Large mixing bowl
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Pot for boiling water
- Electric mixer
HOW TO MAKE THIS VANILLA SHEET CAKE WITH STRAWBERRY BUTTERCREAM
Our Vanilla Sheet Cake with Strawberry Buttercream is one of our most popular recipes, and it's easy to see why. The Vanilla Sheet Cake is moist and fluffy, with just the right amount of sweetness. Follow the steps below for a delicious treat!
- First, preheat your oven to 350℉. Then, line the baking pan with parchment paper.
- Whisk your dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar) together in a large mixing bowl.
- Then, add the eggs, canola oil, buttermilk, and vanilla into the flour mixture. Whisk until the batter is smooth. Batter will be thick at this point.
- Boil 1 cup of water on the stove. Then, whisk it into the cake batter.
- Add the funfetti sprinkles and use a spatula to gently incorporate them.
- Next, transfer the cake batter to the prepared baking pan. Bake the cake for 30-minutes or until golden brown.
- When the cake is done, let it cool in the pan before turning it out into a wire rack.
- To make the fresh strawberry buttercream, put the soft butter and cream cheese into a mixing bowl and beat on a low speed until smooth and combined.
- Then, add the powdered sugar and strawberry preserve and beat until smooth and creamy. Add food coloring if you desire.
- Finally, Use a spoon to dollop the frosting onto the cooled vanilla sheet cake. Spread the frosting with an offset spatula into an even layer across the entire surface of the cake.
- Sprinkle with Funfetti sprinkles, slice and Enjoy!
- The cake mixture for this vanilla sheet cake will be very thin and runny, which is normal for this type of cake. It's just like a chocolate cake recipe, minus the cocoa powder.
- The cake is done when it is golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the pan slightly, and feels springy when touched with your finger.
- If the frosting is too runny simply add more powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time. If it’s too thick you can add a splash of milk or heavy cream.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Cake is good in the refrigerator for 3 days.
- The vanilla sheet cake can be frozen (un-frosted aka naked cake) for up to 1 month. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap.
- Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long does this strawberry sheet cake recipe take to make?
This easy vanilla sheet cake takes about 15-minutes to prep, and 30 minutes to cook. You will also need to wait about 30-minutes to frost it. So, all together, it will take about an hour and 15-minutes.
How many servings can I get from this sheet cake?
Made in a 9x13” baking pan, this recipe can serve quite a bit of people. In fact, you can get 18 generous slices from this cake, but if you cut them smaller, you can get even more.
How long do I let it cool before transferring?
Before transferring your cake to a wire rack, it needs time to set. Keep it in the pan and allow the cake cool for about 15-20 minutes. Then, transfer it to the wire rack.
OTHER STRAWBERRY CAKE RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY
- Strawberry Skillet Cake
- Strawberry Cheesecake Cupcakes
- Strawberry Rhubarb Layer Cake
- All of our strawberry recipes (we have a lot)!
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 ¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 2 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup canola oil
- 1 cup buttermilk room temperature
- 2 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- ¾ cup funfetti sprinkles
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 cup cream cheese softened
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- ½ cup strawberry preserve or 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- ½ cup Funfetti sprinkles
Preheat the oven to 350F and line a 9” x 13” baking pan with parchment paper.
In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and sugar. Whisk together to combine.
Add the eggs, canola oil, buttermilk and vanilla extract and whisk until very smooth.
Pour in the boiling water and whisk again until fully combined. Tip in the funfetti sprinkles and use a spatula to gently incorporate. The mixture will be very thin, this is normal!
Transfer the cake mixture to the prepared baking pan. Bake in the center of the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the cake is golden brown, shrinking away from the sides of the pan slightly and feel springy when touched with your finger.
Leave the cake to cool in the pan before turning out onto a wire rack to frost.
To make the cream cheese frosting, put the soft butter and cream cheese into a mixing bowl and beat on a low speed until smooth and combined.
Add the powdered sugar and strawberry preserve (or strawberry extract if using) and beat until smooth and creamy. At this point, you can add a touch of pink food coloring if you would like the frosting to be a brighter shade of pink.
Use a spoon to dollop the frosting on to the cooled vanilla sheet cake. Spread the frosting with an off set spatula into an even layer across the entire surface of the cake.
Sprinkle with Funfetti, slice and enjoy!
• This is a sublimely moist and flavorful vanilla cake packed with funfetti sprinkles and topped with a strawberry flavor cream cheese frosting. The cake is very light and soft thanks to the buttermilk. It takes very little effort to make and can all be mixed in one bowl!
• If you don’t have buttermilk you can substitute with sour cream or plain yogurt. Alternatively, you can make your own buttermilk by adding 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk.
• Use a flavorless oil such as canola oil or vegetable oil.
• The cake mixture for this vanilla sheet cake will be very thin and runny, which is normal for this
type of cake.
• The outside layer of the cake will be golden brown however the inside will look pale in color with
flecks of Funfetti running throughout.
• We used Fancy Sprinkles Funfetti because they are bake stable and don’t run during baking.
• As mentioned in the recipe, you may substitute the strawberry preserve with 1 teaspoon of strawberry
extract. We have found strawberry preserve to give the most authentic and natural strawberry
• The strawberry preserve will add a hint of pastel pink to the frosting. Feel free to add pink food
coloring for a more vivid color.
• Cream cheese frosting is a different consistency to pipeable buttercream. Since this is to frost a
sheet cake the frosting is lighter, creamier and not as thick.
• If the frosting is too runny simply add more powdered sugar a tablespoon at a time. If it’s too thick you
can add a splash of milk or heavy cream.
• Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days. The vanilla sheet cake can
be frozen (un-frosted) for up to 1 month.
Leave a Reply