Generally during the year, my oldest likes to put up a fight about the vegetables that I serve him. During the summer however, he waves his white flag. He knows that we have a ton of veggies that need to be eaten from the garden and that every meal will mainly consist of freshly harvested vegetables.
Getting creative with the same vegetables is hard sometimes. I have made fried yellow summer squash at least 3 times a week for the last month and a half. I have also put it in cakes, quiches, and even smoothies! While I love it, I needed to add another flavor to it. Thankfully, my basil plant was in full bloom, so we made pesto.
So what could be better than a dish of pesto grilled veggies and shrimp, pasta, and some freshly grated Parmesan cheese? Not much I say. Except for the fact that not only we (my kids) getting a full dose of nutrients from the vegetables and pesto on the pasta, but the pasta itself actually contains 1 full serving of vegetables per 4 oz portion! How cool is that! And to top it off, it is pretty good. The orange colored pasta definitely has a mild carrot flavor, and the green pasta tasted like either spinach or broccoli. With the pesto sauce, my kids did not suspect a thing! The Ronzoni Garden Delight Pasta comes in three varieties- Tri-Color Penne, Tri-Color Rotini and Trio Italiano. I found them at Walmart.
Over all this was a wonderful meal that chock full of nutrients and a great way to use up all of those vegetables from your flourishing garden! If you are looking to try Ronzoni Garden Delight pasta look for a $1.00 coupon off any two Garden Delight items in most newspapers on 6/28/15 (while supplies last) or $0.55 off in store coupon at Walmart starting 6/22/15. Offer expires 8/2/15 (while supplies last). To find a store near you that sells Ronzoni Delight, click here. Enjoy!
- 2 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil , divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino cheese
- 1 Box Ronzoni Garden Harvest Pasta
- 1 pound deveined and peeled shrimp
- 2 cups sliced vegetables (I used peppers, yellow squash, eggplant, tomatoes and onion)
- Grated parmesan cheese
- Using a blender, combine basil, garlic, pine nuts, olive oil and salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- Reserve 1/2 cup in for pasta.
- Rinse shrimp and place in bowl with 1/4 cup pesto. Allow to marinate for 30 minuets.
- While shrimp is marinating, slice your vegetables. Place in a bowl with the remaining 1/4 cup of pesto.
- Make pasta according to the directions on the back of the box.
- Either grill vegetables on high heat (this is what I did), or bake them for 15 min at 400 degrees.
- Grill shrimp on high heat for about until fully cooked, about 2 minutes on each side.
- To assemble, toss cooked pasta with the reserved 1/2 cup of pesto.
- Topped grilled veggies and shrimp and sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese.