After countless malasadas from the famous Leonard’s Bakery in Hawaii,
(photo source here because my brilliant husband erased mine!)
All of this combined with this weekend in Sin City where I can guarantee that my liver will be working in overdrive during my attempt to be anything but sober in order to deal with looking at men with un-naturally large muscles and tiny speedos. My husband, the aspiring *natural* body builder is dragging me to Las Vegas for Mr. Olympia (body builder olympics). I swear, the things I do for love.
Now on to more appetizing pictures, lol!
Anyway, so starting Monday I will be cleansing my body of all toxins. I thought I would start with this delicious pumpkin spice granola to kick start my day. What I love about granola is that it is so filling and keeps me full and energized until early afternoon. The kids love it too!
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp . coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp . vanilla extract
- 2 tsp . pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp . salt
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 1 cup pepitas
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 325°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together pumpkin, sugar, coconut oil, vanilla, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Add oats, pecans, and pistachios (if using), and toss to coat.
- Spread evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Stir in raisins and cranberries, and continue baking until oats are just crisp, about 15 minutes more.
- Stir one last time, then set aside to cool completely.
- When hard, break into chunks and store in an airtight container.
- Recipe slightly adapted from the December 2010 issue of The Oprah Magazine.