Fall is officially here, and I am busy filling my house with all the delectable ingredients that autumn has to offer. While pumpkin tends to take center stage this time of year, I’m excited about the wide variety of squash ready to be harvested and turned into all sorts of delicious and savory meals. There’s butternut, acorn, delicata, and one of my personal favorites, the spaghetti squash.
Squash can be cooked in a number of different ways; steamed, roasted, baked, and boiled, which makes it easy to transform it into everything from muffins and pies to soups and sides. Squash is also an excellent substitute for pasta, and spiralizing squash and other veggies is more popular then ever.
While spaghetti squash has been commonly used as a noodle replacement, I’m putting a spin on it and making flavorful, satisfying, and fun Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats.
Why You’ll Want to Make Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats
Chicken Alfredo is a dinnertime favorite in our family, and one we could easily eat several times a week. As a mom of three, I’m always looking for ways to pack some extra nutrition into our meals, and spaghetti squash is an excellent source of a variety of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Plus it has significantly less calories than traditional spaghetti noodles. A true win-win for us all. What could be better than combining one of our beloved meals with a nutritional powerhouse? Serving it boat-style, of course!
Chicken Alfredo Spaghetti Squash Boats really are easy to make. While the squash is in the oven baking, combine the ingredients for the Alfredo sauce and toss in chunks of cooked chicken. Then spoon the chicken mixture into each spaghetti squash half and top them with grated mozzarella cheese. Bake them just a little more and dinner is ready to serve!
More Delicious Dinner Recipes
- 2 small spaghetti squash
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup chicken stock
- 3/4 cup light Half & Half
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast chopped or shredded
- 2 tablespons parsley chopped
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Place squash cut side down on a foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until your can easily stick a knife through the skin. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees.
- While squash is baking, melt butter in a skillet or cast iron pot on medium high heat.
- Once butter has melted, and garlic and cook while stirring until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add chicken stock and stir until flour has dissolved. Once dissolved add Half & Half. Reduce heat to medium low and continue cookie sauce until it has thickened, stirring regularly, about 4-5 minutes.
- Once sauce coats the back of spoon, remove from heat. Stir in chicken, parley, and parmesan cheese.
- Spoon chicken alfredo into each spaghetti squash and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake with for 15-20 or until cheese has melted and bubbling.
- Top with additional chopped parsley if desired.