I love avocados and eat them all year long. I will gladly pick guacamole and chips over a dessert any day. GASP….I know!!!! So naturally, the first section in the book that I examined was of course the guacamole chapter. There was everything from Mango and Cilantro Guacamole to Cajun Shrimp Guacamole.
But the recipe that really caught my eye and got my taste buds tingling was the bacon-cotija guacamole. Smoky bacon and sharp crumbly cotija cheese paired with a creamy avocado…um YES PLEASE. Even Baby Ben couldn’t get enough! Every time I turned around he would dip his chip into the guacamole and suck it off…and then give me this look!
All I can say is genius. This girl is a freaking avocado goddess. The flavors and textures were fantastic. I cannot wait to try all of the 79 recipes in the book including the avocado chocolate chip cookies and brownies (I know right!)
But wait….I want one of you to go on the avocado journey with me! One of you lucky readers will win your very own copy of Absolutely Avocados and a box of fresh California avocados delivered to your door!
The nitty gritty:
Giveaway is open to US residents only. Winner will be picked using random.org on July 1st, 2013 and will have 72 hours to respond with their mailing address. If winner does not respond within that time, another winner will be picked. This is not a sponsored giveaway nor are these affiliate links, I just want to share some Avocado love!
Subscribe to The Seaside Baker (in the upper right hand corner)
Leave a comment telling me that you did all that tedious, yet fun stuff! If you are already a follower, just comment telling me so, and you will be entered to win too.
Now onto this magnificent recipe from the book, Absolutely Avocados.
- 4 strips bacon
- 3 Haas avocados
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija cheese , plus more if desired
- 1 tbsp finely chopped serrano chile pepper
- Juice of 1 lime
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Tortilla chips , for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Lay the bacon on the baking sheet in a single layer and transfer to the oven.
- Let the bacon cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until crispy, turning the bacon over once in the middle of cooking time.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate to cool.
- Once the bacon is cool enough to touch, chop it into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Cut each avocado in half lengthwise.
- Remove the pit from the avocado and discard.
- Remove the avocado from the skin, and place the avocado flesh in a bowl.
- Add the cilantro, cotija cheese, serrano pepper, lime juice, salt, and pepper to the bowl. Mash with a fork until half smooth and half chunky. Fold in half of the bacon.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish the guacamole with the remaining bacon, and add more crumbled cotija cheese if desired.
- Serve immediately with tortilla chips. Serves 4.