This year my daughter and I are starting a Girl Scouts troop! I am so excited! I seriously cannot wait for graham cracker milk box gingerbread houses, Thanksgiving volunteering, and of course cookie sales!! I was always one of the top sellers in my troop because I had an uncle that would buy them for all his clients.
So many kids these days don’t really know where their food comes from. This will be a very important lesson in the troop. I want the girls to garden, learn fruit and vegetable seasons, and of course learn to cook. I also want to teach them, and you, how to become a “Smart Cookie” in the kitchen! To learn more about all the fun experiences girls and volunteers have at Girl Scouts, visit www.girlscouts.org/join.
Here are twelve “Kitchen Hacks” that will either enhance your food or make your life easier!
1. One of my favorite solves is Coffee-Mate® Girl Scouts® creamers because now I can enjoy all the delicious cookie taste, all year long! Flavors come in Girl Scouts® Caramel & Coconut flavor and Girl Scouts® Thin Mints® flavor, and are both equally delicious!
2. To make a delicious and creamy homemade spaghetti sauce, throw in 4 tablespoons of butter right before serving the sauce over the pasta. This makes the sauce smooth and decadent.
3. Cook pasta 1 minute less than the package instructions and cook it the rest of the way in the pan with sauce.
4. To shred beef, chicken, or pork quickly, put slow cooked roast in your electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment and turn it on slowly for about 30 seconds. Then voila- perfectly shredded meat!
5. The next time you open a can of tomato paste, don’t throw it away! Freeze extra tomato paste, pesto, or chicken broth in freezer ice cubes to avoid waste.
6. If your recipe requires thinly slices meat (think stir fry) freeze your meat for about 10-15 minutes before slicing. This makes it much easier to slice!
7. Store lettuce, herbs, and all other greens in a damp paper towel. This keeps the moisture in the greens and fresher for days.
8. The next time you make cookie dough, make a double batch and freeze ½ batch in a log. Bring to room temperature and slice, bake, and serve. These logs will stay good frozen for up to 3 months.
9. The next time a recipe calls for cake flour and you are out, make it yourself! Simply measure out 1 cup of all-purpose flour, and then remove 2 tablespoons of the flour. Replace with 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Sift flour and cornstarch together to create cake flour!
10. Homemade buttermilk is easier than you think. Substitute it in pancakes, muffins, waffles or any baked good! Pour milk into a 1 cup measure cup, leaving about 1/4 inch space to the top. Pour in 1 teaspoon of white vinegar. Gently stir and sit for about 3 minutes…then you have buttermilk!
11. The next time you make brownies or a cake and want to add some mix-ins, coat the mix-ins with a little flour. This will keep the mix-ins from sinking to the bottom of the pan!
12. To keep cookies fresh for days, place in an airtight container or bag with a slice of bread. The bread will absorb all of the air in the bag and will become hard as rock, leaving the cookies as soft as the day you baked them.
For more fun tips, activities, or recipes visit Nestle® Coffee-mate® on their Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. You can also find more information about the Girl Scouts of the USA here. Also, make sure to follow me and Nestle® Coffee-mate® on Pinterest as we pin a ton more Kitchen Hacks!
Do you have a favorite “Life Hack”? Would you like to win a $100 Visa gift card? Simply comment below with your favorite “Life Hack” and you will be entered to win!
No duplicate comments.
You may receive (2) total entries by selecting from the following entry methods:
- Leave a comment in response to the sweepstakes prompt on this post
- Tweet (public message) about this promotion; including exactly the following unique term in your tweet message: “#SweepstakesEntry”; and leave the URL to that tweet in a comment on this post
- Blog about this promotion, including a disclosure that you are receiving a sweepstakes entry in exchange for writing the blog post, and leave the URL to that post in a comment on this post
- For those with no Twitter or blog, read the official rules to learn about an alternate form of entry.
This giveaway is open to US Residents age 18 or older. Winners will be selected via random draw, and will be notified by e-mail. The notification email will come directly from BlogHer via the [email protected] email address. You will have 72 hours to respond; otherwise a new winner will be selected.
The Official Rules are available here.
This sweepstakes runs from 8/26-9/30.
Be sure to visit the Coffee-mate brand page on BlogHer.com where you can read other bloggers’ posts!