Last year around this time I showed you guys how to make Dulce de Leche in the oven. Well guess what? I have an even easier method!!!! Stick some condensed milk in the crock pot, cover it with water (more detailed instructions below), turn it on low, and in 8 hours you will have a creamy, delicious caramel sauce perfect for everything!
Considering I actually made 5 cans of the Dulce de leche, I had to quickly find recipes before I ate each jar clean. Cookie bars were the answer.
Even though I have tried to convince you that this is the best cookie recipe, it still requires at least a 2 day waiting period before consuming warm, gooey cookies. This recipe, however, results in a nutty (from the brown butter), chewy and perfect cookie with no rest time. Bliss in less than 30 minutes…sold! Do as I did and add a double layer of Dulce de Leche and some sea salt for a decadent dessert.
Salted Dulce de Leche Cookie Bars
Easy Dulce de Leche
- You can do this two ways. Either remove the paper from around the can, or open the can and pour the sweetened condensed milk into a canning jar (ie a 8oz Ball jar) and close tightly.
- Place jar or can in crock pot and fill with water about 1 inch above the can or jar.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Jar or can may look a bit rusty, but it is ok.
- Remove can from crock pot when finished and carefully open with can opener.
- If cooked in can, and not used right away store in a reusable container, covered and refrigerated. Will keep up to 1 week.
Cooks Illustrated Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a heavy bottomed sauce pan, melt butter until browned.
- It takes about 5 minutes for butter to begin to smell nutty and start to brown, but watch carefully because it goes from perfectly browned to burned very fast.
- Once browned, remove from heat and allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add browned butter and sugars to the bowl of a mixer and mix until combined.
- Add eggs and yolks one at a time then add the vanilla.
- Turn mixer off and add all of your dry ingredients to the bowl.
- Once you have measured and added the flour, soda and salt, turn the mixer on low and mix until everything has been incorporated.
- Turn mixer off and mix in chocolate chips and nuts with wooden spoon.
Dulce de Leche Cookies
- Grease a 9x13 in pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Press half of the dough into the bottom of the pan. Spread 1/2 cup of dulce de leche over the dough.
- Sprinkle the rest of the dough over the top of the ducle de leche.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.