This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #YesYouCAN #CollectiveBias
Sloppy Joe Pizza rolls are the perfect thing to serve to a crowd of grown hungry men or messy kids. They have all of the wonderful nostalgic sweet flavors of a sloppy joe, but are carefully wrapped up in a pizza roll ball. In other words, delicious Sloppy Joes without the sloppy!
For this recipe I made homemade pizza dough. Pizza dough is extremely easy to make, especially if you have a heavy-duty mixer. If you are short on time, store-bought pizza dough will work too. Did you know that if you pour a little bit of cold water into your hot oven after you put the rolls in, that it creates a steam that will make your crust crunchy and delicious? I always use this step when making any sort of bread and it results in a Paris Bakery Style Crust!
While strolling through Walmart and contemplating what to make for the afternoon game, I saw these gorgeous bell peppers, and knew they had to be included. I love adding bell peppers to my Sloppy Joes because it adds a little extra sweetness and crunch. I also picked up a can of MANWICH and RO*TEL, and was on my merry way.
Once home I quickly made the dough and the filling. To assemble the rolls, you want to first divide your dough into 9 equal parts. You should also spray your 9×9 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.Next you will want to flatten the dough.
Place about a tablespoon of filling in the center of the flattened dough.
Carefully pull edges up and over filling. Pinch together and place seam down in the pan.
Allow rolls to raise again for about 15 minutes.
Once ready to bake, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
So, if you are looking for a easy and delicious game day recipe that brings all the boys to yard, this is it! Enjoy!
- Pizza Dough
- 2 teaspoons active instant yeast
- 1 1/8 cups lukewarm water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound hamburger meat
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1- 15 ounce can MANWICH
- 1 small can RO*TEL diced tomatoes & green chilies, drained
- More olive oil for brushing rolls
- Sesame Seeds
- Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and knead until it forms a ball and the ball no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly grease a large bowl and place pizza dough ball in. Cover with a damp towel and allow to double it size, approximately 30-40 minutes.
- While dough is rising, make the filling. Brown hamburger meat in a large pan with a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Dice peppers and garlic into small pieces. Once meat is brown, strain it and set aside. Quickly sauté you peppers and garlic in the same pan with a tablespoon of olive oil, until peppers are slightly soft, about 5 minutes. Once peppers are done, add meat back to the pan.
- Pour in one can of MANWICH and one can of drained RO*TEL into the pan. Mix sauce, meat, and vegetables and simmer for 5 minutes.
- When done, remove from heat and allow to cool before filling the pizza dough. Once dough has doubled in size, punch down.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9x9 baking dish.
- Divide dough into 9 pieces. Lightly flatten each piece and place a spoonful of filling in each center. Bring the edges up and over the filling and pinch the sides together.
- Place roll pinch side down in the pan, and repeat with the remaining 8 rolls.
- Allow rolls to sit and rise again for about 15 minutes.
- Brush rolls with olive oil and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake rolls for 20-25 minutes or until they have browned. Enjoy immediately.